The Police in Kasese Municipality are investigating circumstances, under which a minor was electrocuted Wednesday. The two-year-old identified as Muhindo Bosco reportedly died after stepping on a live electric cable in Nyakasanga upper cell in Nyamwamba division.
According to residents, the live wire was left on the ground by a team of technicians from UMEME during their routine maintenance exercise.
The Kasese District Police Commander Wilfred Bagenda says that they were alerted by the residents shortly after the incident but they found the boy already dead.
Residents and local leaders blamed power distributor UMEME for not erecting warning signs in areas where they are working. Kenneth Katindi, one of the residents, says that this is the second person that has been electrocuted in the area within three weeks.
The area LC vice chairperson Edinock Maate, said they alerted the UMEME office after seeing the live wire on the ground but there was no timely response until the minor was electrocuted.
Efforts to get a comment from UMEME by press time were still futile.